Thursday, January 15, 2015

Freefall

"Freefall" 


 Here's a quick vid of the gear I was using as I was putting it together:




AXL Guitar

Suzuki Bass

RP50 effect pedal


UMK61 Controller Keyboard

Alesis Midiverb

Tascam Porta 2 Mk2 four-track record (tape mechanism doesn't work, I used it as a pre-amp to naturally overdrive the lead guitar)





These had been sitting in the shed for  a number of years and I wasn't even sure if they worked anymore. The last time I recorded with them was in 2009. But because I had a few days break, it was good time to get them out again and literally dust them off. After a few crackles and pops, I finally got some sound out of it :




What grabbed me was the very long reverb on one hand (10-16 seconds) and then the backward reverb 'reverse' setting (400 ms). So I used the long reverb to play the rhythm/picking/feedback and then the 'reverse' setting to record the lead guitar.

The rest of the instrumentation I recorded using Sonar LE:



I filmed myself recording the lead live but I only ended up using a tiny bit of it in the end.
My posture here is akin to a sack of potatoes. However, I was happy with some of the squeals I was able to get out of the poor guitar:


No comments:

Post a Comment